What Is It?
The Community Development Block Grant entitlement program allocates funds to assist in providing affordable housing, a suitable living environment, and opportunities to expand economic opportunities principally for low and moderate-income persons.
The Cumberland County Redevelopment Authority’s Community Development Division administers the program on behalf of both the Borough and the County respectively. Cumberland County & The Carlisle Borough receive an annual allocation from the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program. This program provides communities with resources to assist low-to-moderate-income individuals.
This program focuses on two key priorities—assisting low-to-moderate-income individuals and remediating slum and blight conditions. Each year, the borough, the county, businesses, non-profit groups, and other organizations apply for an increasingly limited pool of funds to carry out eligible activities.
Examples of acceptable projects include:
- Rehabilitating homes for income-qualified residents
- Providing low-interest loans for businesses to hire low-to-moderate-income employees
- Demolishing or rehabilitating blighted structures that endanger public health and safety
- Installing handicapped-accessible curb cuts and ramps
- Constructing public facilities, such as parks, in predominately low-to-moderate-income areas
- Providing funding for enhanced code enforcement activities in predominately low-to-moderate-income areas
How Does it Work?
Cumberland County Grant Cycle
The annual funding request round typically opens in July with applications due at the end of August. Recommendations are made to the Board of Commissioners in September, with submittal of a final program budget to HUD by mid-November. The county usually receives the annual program allocation within three months of passage of the federal budget.
Carlisle Borough Grant Cycle
The annual funding request round typically opens in January with applications due at the end of February. Recommendations are made to Carlisle Borough Council in March, with submittal of a final program budget to HUD by mid-May. The county usually receives the annual program allocation by August of each year.